I've never had to hire a lawyer before. How do I start?
You can call or email our office at 512-329-9920, smetcalfe@metcalfe-law.com. When you speak with an attorney, he/she will walk you through a series of questions necessary in order to determine the facts of your case, and the legal issues and damages that are involved. The next step would be to set an appointment for a free and confidential consultation with you and an attorney. If we are unable to take your case, we will give you assistance in order to help you find counsel or help through local, state or federal governmental agencies or other resources.

How much will it cost to have a consultation with an attorney?
At Metcalfe Law you pay nothing to have a consultation with one of our attorneys. We work on a contingency basis, meaning at Metcalfe Law we only get paid a percentage of the money we collect for you on your case.

When is the best time to hire an attorney?
We cannot stress the urgency in hiring an attorney as soon as possible. You need to act immediately if you feel that you or a loved one is in need of legal help. Cases are dependent on evidence, and the sooner an attorney can begin gathering information, the better chance you have in succeeding. Act quickly to preserve your rights.

Why should I consider choosing Metcalfe Law to represent me?
As a contingency fee law firm, we are not compensated until you are. We have extensive experience in many areas of personal injury law, and we provide responsive and accurate counsel and advice. Our firm has the background and resources to take cases through to trial. We are committed to your case and we value each and every person we represent. We are a compassionate team that gives back to the community, and we simplify everything for you – from paperwork to dealing with insurance companies.

How much is my case worth?
The worth of most cases is determined based on five specific areas: past medical bills, future medical bills, past lost wages, future loss of earning capacity and pain and suffering. Even with this said, it is important to understand that every case is different and there is no exact formula for determining its worth. We work hard at Metcalfe Law to get you the most compensation possible for your claims.

How long do I have to file a claim?
Most personal injury cases in Texas have a two-year statute of limitations to file a lawsuit. Some cases require a shorter period of time, such as claims filed against municipalities or government agencies. It is important to know that the statue of limitations likely begins the date your accident occurred.


How do I get started?
When you meet with our law firm, the consultation is free. We will gather the facts of your case as well as determine the legal issues and damages that are involved.

What will it cost?
We are a contingency fee law firm, meaning that you do not pay us unless we make a recovery on your behalf. The initial consultation is also free.

What if the at-fault person does not have insurance?
If the person at-fault in your case does not have insurance coverage, Metcalfe Law will review your policy to see if your insurance company will compensate you directly for your damages. There are also special circumstances where other entities will be held responsible. For example, if the driver who is uninsured was intoxicated and served at a bar before the accident the bar may be held responsible. Likewise if there was a manufacturer’s defect on the vehicle that caused the collision, the manufacturer may be held responsible.

Do I speak with the other person’s insurance company?
You should not speak with anyone about your case until you contact an attorney. If you have already spoken with the other person’s insurance company, we can still help you. Once we begin working with you we will be in contact with the insurance company on your behalf and work in your best interest.

Does hiring an attorney add to lawsuit abuse?
No. The objective of an attorney is to recover what his or her client is entitled to. We work in the best interest of our clients. We first attempt to resolve the case prior to filing a lawsuit.

Why are so many people calling me about my accident?
Many people are monitoring the incoming police reports for accident reports. Solicitors call to promise you money and other benefits in order to work on your case. Do not speak with these solicitors or sign anything, and contact an attorney. Solicitor Fraud is a dangerous crime that can affect your future legal rights. When you contact Metcalfe Law, we will help put an end to these calls.

The insurance adjustor wants me to sign off on my medical claims. Should I sign the papers and accept their offer?
No. You should not sign anything until you have contacted an attorney who can evaluate your claim and determine if the correct procedures have been followed to protect your rights and recovery.

What is wrongful death?
A wrongful death lawsuit claims that the victim was killed as a direct result of the negligence of others in which others can be held liable for their death. The victim’s survivors may be entitled to monetary damages.

What is the Statute of Limitations for a Wrongful Death Claim in Texas? In the state of Texas, family members have two years from the date the death occurred to bring a claim. If the death was a result of medical malpractice, the family members may only have two years from the date the malpractice was discovered. There are some exceptions to this rule, so it is necessary to consult with an attorney as soon as possible.

What is a Survival Action?
A “survival action” is the action of recovering damages for an injury or fatally injured person.

What is a dram shop claim?
A “dram shop” is a bar, restaurant, or other place of business where liquor is sold. It is illegal for liquor to be sold to a person who is obviously intoxicated. The dram shop will be held responsible if the selling of liquor to an intoxicated person results in death or injury. A wrongful death case against a dram shop does not require an appointment of trustee, but a next of kin or surviving spouse to make a claim.

Can someone collect damages for grief, sorrow & mental anguish over death of a loved one?
The surviving spouse, parent or child can recover compensation for mental anguish and pain caused by the death of a loved one. Contact Metcalfe-Law for more information and a free consultation.

Who has the authority to file a wrongful death lawsuit in Texas? Surviving family members? Children?
The surviving spouse, parent or child can recover compensation for damages caused by the death of a loved one.

What if a loved one has been killed as the result of an accident that was not their fault?
Depending on the circumstances surrounding the accident, a family member is entitled to make a claim for wrongful death. If you or someone you know is going through the traumatic event of a wrongful death, contact an attorney as soon as possible for legal assistance. At Metcalfe Law, we provide a free and confidential consultation.


I’ve been injured by a product. How do I make a claim?
If you've been injured by a product, you may have a liability case against the product's manufacturers and distributors. There are generally three types of product liability cases: negligence, strict liability and breach of warranty. Pursuing a product liability case can be complex and time consuming. Metcalfe Law represents people hurt or killed by such products. If you or a family member has been injured by a defective product contact us for a free consultation.

What is a product liability claim?
There are many types of claims involving defective products. You may have read about defective baby equipment, or motor vehicle defects in the media. Other areas may involve defective machinery or products that don’t meet safety regulations.

What should I do with the defective product that hurt me or my family member?
If you or a family member have been harmed, it is crucial that you keep the product and all its parts. It will need to be evaluated and the evidence preserved. DO NOT THROW IT AWAY or send it to the manufacturer without having it reviewed by someone looking out for your rights and well-being.